There are a large number of community organisations in and around Shaftesbury to get involved in. Here are a list of a few of them:
- 41 Club: Shaftesbury & Gillingham 41 Club is the more commonly used and shorter name for The Association of Ex-Round Tablers’ Clubs a social networking organisation for men aged over 40 who are also former members of Round Table – Contact: J Webb – tel.no. 01747 854644
- Age Concern Gillingham & Shaftesbury – offices are located at Gold Hill House, 21 High Street, Shaftesbury, open Wednesday and Thursday mornings 10am – 12 noon 01747 853966. Friends of Dorchester Age UK – http://www.ageuk.org.uk/dorchester/ – Age Concern POP-In – held on the first Monday of every month at 10 o’clock at The Pavilions, St Martin’s Lane, Shaftesbury. Tel. 01747 858218.
- Age UK – Shop – 27A High St, Shaftesbury SP7 8JE – www.ageuk.org.uk/ – 01747 855520
- Agricultural Society – Gillingham and Shaftesbury – 01747 823955 – http://www.gillshaftshow.co.uk/
- Blackmore Vale Amateur Radio Club – Blackmore Vale Amateur Radio Society – BVARS
- Blackmore Stroke Club -The Rememberance Hall Charlton Shaftesbury -meets: on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month between 10.30am – 2.15pm. A self-help
group that organises speakers, quizzes, and social activities. Speakers are often invited.
Physio is available for stroke suffers and lunch is also available. For further information contact: Mrs C Davies Tel: 01747 853428 email: BarMrsh@aol.com
- Blackmore Vale Decorative and Fine Arts Society: http://blackmorevaledfas.org.uk/ The Society meets on the first Thursday of each month at Stalbridge Village Hall. Membership Secretary: Christine Weston – 01258 861952, email: email@example.com Treasurer: 01963 370709. BVDFAS meets once a month for a lecture on a wide range of decorative and fine arts by a professional lecturer. The society also holds study days and organises visits to places of interest to art lovers.
- Blackmore Vale Bonsai Group – http://blackmorevalebonsaigroup.co.uk/
- Blackmore Vale University of the Third Age – http://u3asites.org.uk/code/u3asite.php?site=754
- Cranbourne Chase & West Wilts Downs
- Disability Action Group North Dorset – http://dt11dag.co.uk/
- Dorset Army Cadet Force B Company – meets Victoria Street, Shaftesbury – contact: Admin Officer Lieutenant Alan Brown (General Enquiries) tel: 01305 263954 – 1. email: firstname.lastname@example.org – https://armycadets.com/county/dorset-acf/contact-us/
- Dorset Association for the Disabled – D.A.D. operate branches across the county that give help and information to people with disabilities and to their carers. Volunteers run social and some handicraft clubs, outings, a visiting service to the housebound, and an advisory service to disabled members and families. Some branches have adapted minibuses manned by voluntary drivers and escorts. See below for meetings in the North Dorset area:
Shaftesbury: 1st Friday of the month – 7.30pm
Trinity Day Centre ,Bimport , contact: Mrs Janet Lowe – Tel: 01747 854957
- Dorset Long Distance Walking Association – http://www.ldwa.org.uk/dorset
- Dorset Partnership for Older People : https://www.dorsetforyou.com/popp
The POPP Champion for Shaftesbury is Hazel Heritage, phone 07760 762279, email email@example.com
POPP Wayfinders are Anne Wilkins (07971 338258, firstname.lastname@example.org)
and Jenny Christensen (07971 338635,email@example.com)
- Enmore Green Playing Field Association – contact: Jo Churchill email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. 01747 850432
- Friends of Westminster Memorial Hospital, Shaftesbury – http://friendswmhshaftesbury.org.uk/index.html
- Gillingham & Shaftesbury Chess Club – Meets every week throughout the year. New members always welcome.
For further details contact R. Adams 01747 823387 or D. Brown 01747 851658.
- Gillingham Mere & Shaftesbury Lions Club
- Gold Hill Probus Club The Club meets on the second Monday of the month at the Town Hall Shaftesbury at 10am. For coffee and a talk by an interesting speaker and the option of a social lunch together afterwards. Gold Hill Probus Club is an association of retired and semi-retired men and women who join together in Clubs throughout the UK and the World. Members can visit other Clubs in the UK and abroad. For further details contact the Membership Secretary John Kitching on 01747 852797
- Gillingham Job Club: http://www.gillinghamjobclub.co.uk/ Meets every Fri, 10:00am – 1:00pm- arrive anytime, but please try to book first. At Gillingham Town Council Offices, School Road, Gillingham SP8 4QR in the Jubilee Room. Ring buzzer at reception door for access. Practical help and advice for anyone, of any age, looking for work. Help and support for those seeking employment and voluntary opportunities who are resident in Gillingham and surrounding parishes. Contact: David.email@example.com (Club Coordinator) or 01747 825161.
- John Foyle’s Charity A very brief history – The charity was created in 1647 when two fields in St James were given following the death of John Foyle’s for the ‘benefit of the poor within the parish or shadow of Trinity’. In latter years the fields were sold, the proceeds invested and the income use to help Shaftesbury residents who apply and are eligible for financial assistance. The Trustees of the charity meet approximately four/five times per year and give away the interest on the invested proceeds. We have supported many local people financially with the purchase of furniture, clothes; computers; and wheelchairs etc. Contact Simon Rutter 01747 851881, Trudie Stanley 01747 852841.
Little Monkeys, Father’s House, Shaftesbury – Little Monkey’s is a toddler group that meets every Friday during term time from 10 – 12 noon. It is a great place to meet new people and let your children have an excellent time in a safe environment. Our team of staff will make you feel welcome, we have loads of toys and activities for the children and we provide tea or coffee for you and a glass of squash/water for the children. It is in our main hall, so there is loads of room http://www.fathershouseshaftesbury.co.uk/little-monkeys/
Little Acorns, Father’s House, Shaftesbury – Little Acorns Pre-School has been registered since 2000 and operates from the Father’s House Shaftesbury. The pre-school is run by the trustees of the New Covenant Church and provides care for up to 26 children from age two years nine months to the end of the early years age group.The aim of Little Acorns Pre-School is to provide a safe secure and stimulating environment where children feel happy and confident in their surroundings. Our desire is for children in out care to have fun while learning and developing through play. All activities are carefully planned meeting the needs of all individual children.We recognise that parents are the first and foremost educators of their children and we work towards parents feeling welcome and valued. For more information you can contact the pre-school office (01747 853715) or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lox Lane – Christian Retreat Centre http://www.loxlane.co.uk/ Lox Lane Farm is set amid beautiful surroundings in the heart of the North Dorset Countryside, an area of outstanding natural beauty. Formerly part of the estate of the Duke of Westminster the beautiful farmhouse and courtyard have been converted, maintaining many of the original features. It is situated close to both Gillingham and Shaftesbury with easy rail and train access, 10 minutes from the A303 and 5 minutes from Gillingham train station. Lox Lane farm was acquired with the intent to become a place where those who needed ‘space to breathe’ could come and find refuge. This was very succesful yet there was a sense that a change was needed, it was still to see people find rest and healing, but in a different way. Rather than have people living there all the time, it was decided to make it a ‘Christian Encounter Centre’, a place where people could come for a weekend, or a few days and meet with God in a special way.
- North Dorset Council for the Protection of Rural England – http://www.cpre.org.uk/about-us/our-vision?gclid=CJGswpO4_MACFRMatAodTC0AtQ
- North Dorset Quilters – http://www.northdorsetquilters.co.uk/
- Paris Helen School of Dance – http://www.parishelen.co.uk/
- Read Easy – Helping adults learn to read – contact Irene on 0844 571 9578 or 0774 897 7330 or email@example.com
- REMAP (Equipment for the Disabled)
- Revellers Carnival Club We are the Revellers Carnival Club. We meet at 8pm at the Coppleridge Inn, Motcombe, near Shaftesbury on every first Monday of the month. Every year we build a large carnival float with lights, music, moving parts and dancers and enter it in all the local carnivals (including Shaftesbury, Gillingham and Mere) and a few of the big ones in the Somerset area. We raise all the money to build the float ourselves and, by participating in the carnivals, help to raise money for all the charities that the various town committees support. We have between 20 -30 members, male and female, currently aged between 13 to 70 from Shaftesbury , Gillingham and the surrounding area. If anybody is interested in joining or just helping us, please could they contact the Secretary, Kathy Webber on 01747 851764 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rotary Club of Shaftesbury If anyone is interested in joining Shaftesbury Rotary Club, please call 01747 851881, or email email@example.com
- St John Ambulance We are a voluntary organisation providing medical cover at local events. The Badgers are a group of youngsters who do all sorts activites involving first aid through to fun and games with the chance to earn awards and certificates. We meet Mondays at St John Ambulance Headquaters, Barton Hill Shaftesbury, SP7 8DQ (next to Shaftesbury Leisure Pool). Badgers age 5 to 10 meet 16.30 to 18.00; Cadets age 10 to 18 meet 18.15 to 20.00; Adults age 18+ (Please call Richard Mullins on 07711045120). Contact Information: Badgers: Cadets: Denise Potter 01747 854656.
- Shaftesbury in Bloom – contact: Derek Beer on 01747 853178
- Shaftesbury & District Archaeological Society A long-established group of over 50 members. All meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month in St Peter’s Hall, Gold Hill, Shaftesbury and start at 7.30pm. Non-members are very welcome, £3.00 at the door. For further information: Unity Sparrow on tel. 01747 852202.
- Shaftesbury & District Historical Society – http://www.open-lectures.co.uk/Local-History-Societies/2889-Shaftesbury-District-Historical-Society/View-details.html#.U-yQfPnIYfQ
- Shaftesbury & District Public Transport Forum – contact: Derek Beer, c/o Shaftesbury Town Council – 01747 852420
- Shaftesbury and Gillingham Railway Club
- Shaftesbury Arts Centre – 13 Bell Street, Shaftesbury provides a wide variety of activities; art, dance, crafts, drama, literature, music – look on their website for full details: Shaftesbury Arts Centre
- Shaftesbury & District Carers Association –HOPE Projects: Social enterprises: HOPE2GROW – gardening services, HOPE2BAKE – catering for buffets and special occasion cakes and HOPE2CYCLE – recycling bikes – http://www.shaftesburycarers.org/
- Shaftesbury Carnival
- Shaftesbury Civic Society
- Shaftesbury Cricket Club
- Shaftesbury Guiding: We now have a central system that everyone has to go through. This isn’t just us, its a national thing! Enquiries about joining us via the internet should be through Girlguidingsouthwest.org.uk then to click on the Join Us icon and follow instructions. If people do not have access to the internet they can still use my mobile phone number, 07811 465 992, and I will direct them to the right person. Vicky Wagland – District Commissioner for Shaftesbury Guiding
- Shaftesbury WI Shaftesbury WI – Mornings, please click the link for meeting times and venue. Shaftesbury WI – Evenings – We welcome women of all ages to our meetings on the second Wednesday of the month at Bell Street United Church Hall at 7.00pm. For more information call: Lorna Irvine on 01747 854949 or Ann Romain on 01747 852188.
- Shaftesbury Flower Arrangers We meet on Mondays at 7.30 p.m. in the Town Hall (unless otherwise stated). We are affiliated to the National Association of Flower Arrangement Societies [NAFAS] and are part of the Dorset & Guernsey Area of NAFAS. We are a lively and friendly club where visitors and new members are always welcome. Subscription £25.00 per year – for further details phone 01258 820537 – please click to see our programme for 2015 – SFAG 2015 programme
- Shaftesbury British Legion The Royal British Legion is a UK charity providing financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served and are currently serving in the Armed Forces, and their dependents. The Legion is there to safeguard their welfare interests and memory. For more information, please contact the Chairman Mr Wilf Readman 01747 852094, or the British Legion Website
- Shaftesbury Orchestra
- Shaftesbury Sewing Club The Shaftesbury Sewing Club meet in the Trinity Centre (around the back in the Social Services Day Care Hall), Bimport, Shaftesbury, SP7 8BW. From 5.30pm to 7.30pm every 2nd and 4th Tuesday in the month. Cost £3.50 per session – pay as you go! This is an initiative to help local seamstresses, from tentative beginners to confident professionals, come together to learn from, be inspired by and drink tea with each other! Please contact Liz Rayner, firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 07546 500102 or Sandra Trim on 0777 4279329 (Treasurer).
- Shaftesbury Town Silver Band
- Shaftesbury Tree Group Shaftesbury Tree Group is interested in the trees of Shaftesbury and the surrounding area. Amongst other things we have begun to compile a survey of trees in the town and we are looking at ways to highlight Shaftesbury’s significant trees. Everyone welcome to our monthly meetings held on a Monday evening 6-8pm. For the date of the next meeting check the Blackmore Vale magazine events listings or call 01747 850820, or email: email@example.com
- Shaftesbury & District Trefoil Guild Please click the link to see Shaftesbury & District Trefoil Guild contact details and 2014/15 programme.
- Shaftesbury Trinity Centre Trust The Trinity Centre provides a) Headquarters for the Shaftesbury Scout Group on the first floor b) A Day Centre for the Elderly run by the local Social Services on the Ground floor. Offices and Parking Spaces let commercially providing funds to support the Trust’s charitable aims. The Clerk to the Trustees is Sophie Franks (01747 826656)
- Shaston Social Club – Bleke St, Shaftesbury SP7 8AW – 01747 852348
- Springhead Trust – a rural centre for creative and sustainable living – http://www.springheadtrust.org.uk/
- Swans Trust – www.swanhosting.co.uk/swanstrust
- TLW Dance Studio – There are classes for every age group and every interest. Please contact Tiffany for further details: TLW Dance Studio 10a/bWincombe Business Park Shaftesbury, Dorset SP7 9QJ – Studio Tel: 01747 850462, Mobile: Tiffany 07584340897 Lynne: 07584340898Email:TLWdance@googlemail.com – – http://www.tlwdance.co.uk/
- Town Twinning
- Wrightson Allotment Trust – http://wrightsonallotments.org/ – contact: firstname.lastname@example.org